Invisalign appeals to a broad cross-section of people who are interested in teeth straightening, as it differs from traditional orthodontics treatment. As a result, these prospective patients often have questions about the treatment and its benefits. Here are some of the most common questions we hear.
- How does Invisalign work? Invisalign straightens the teeth by applying forces through a series of clear, plastic trays rather than the brackets and wires used in conventional orthodontics. The underlying principle is similar though. Applying force to the teeth causes the breakdown of bone that allows the teeth to move into a new, more desirable position.
- How long is the Invisalign treatment process? Often, Invisalign can produce the desired results much more quickly than conventional braces, sometimes in as little as 12 months. Your dentist can advise you on the anticipated treatment timeline.
- What can I expect at my initial consultation? The dentist will examine your teeth and may take impressions, photographs or x-rays to use in the treatment plan. This information then serves as the basis for the design of your trays, which you will receive at a later appointment.
- How long do I wear the Invisalign trays each day? Your dentist will likely advise you to wear the trays for around 22 hours each day to achieve the desired treatment goals within the expected timeframe. Additionally, it’s important to swap out the trays according to the schedule provided to you so that you are making progress in your treatment.
- I have bite issues. Can Invisalign help me? Technology has improved enough that patients can choose Invisalign even in cases with malocclusion or severe crowding.
- Is Invisalign really as convenient as I hear it is? Yes! You can take out the trays at mealtime, as well as in the morning and evening when you brush and floss your teeth. Invisalign is more comfortable and less disruptive to your daily routine than standard braces.
Of course, this is not a comprehensive list of all of the questions that patients have about Invisalign. To speak to a knowledgeable professional about your specific concern, call the office of Dr. Lori Logan today!