11808 Barker Cypress Rd, Suite G
Cypress, TX 77433

Tips to Protect Tooth Enamel

dentist in Cypress TXEnamel is the protective covering on teeth; it is extremely hard (but not invincible); it is clear so you can’t see if it’s still there; and most importantly, once it is damaged it cannot repair itself … and once it is gone, it will not regenerate. There are many things you can do to help maintain healthy tooth enamel; your dentist is a great source of solutions as well as care to protect tooth enamel.

Things that Can Damage Dental Enamel

Sugar – you can enjoy the occasional sugary treat, but be aware that the bacteria on teeth thrive on sugar so rinse thoroughly following consumption. Acidic foods can erode enamel as well. Limit the foods known to damage enamel in your diet.

Acid reflux, regurgitation, and vomiting produce acids that can eat away at dental enamel. People suffering from eating disorders often face dental decay as a side effect.

Lack of saliva allows bacteria to remain on teeth instead of flushing it away naturally. If you suffer from a dry mouth, your dentist can help diagnose and find a solution.

Grinding and teeth clenching can have a serious impact on dental health. Often starting subconsciously during periods of sleep, grinding can become a habit that can seriously damage dental enamel. A solution might be to wear a night guard to eliminate grinding.

Incorrect brushing or using the wrong tools can lead to enamel damage. Use a soft bristle toothbrush and fluoridated toothpaste; you do not need to scrub teeth … even pressure working in a circular motion cleaning a few teeth at a time is best. Brush for two minutes twice every day.

Tips to Protect Enamel

Obviously a good daily oral hygiene regimen coupled with visits to the dentist every six months (or as recommended) are your first lines of defense in enamel protection.

Your daily diet plays a significant role in dental health. Learn which foods and beverages damage teeth; limit or avoid them altogether. If you do consume, rinse your teeth thoroughly when through. Wait an hour before brushing as many foods soften dental enamel; brushing too soon can do more harm than good.

Stay hydrated with water; use a straw when drinking sugary or carbonated beverages.

Dental decay can result from damaged or diminished enamel so do whatever you can to protect it. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, contact the office of Dr. Lori Logan today.

The Important Role Saliva Plays in Oral Health

Cypress TX dentistWe need saliva to continuously flush our mouth … it allows us to speak properly, process food and aid in digestion, and is needed to protect the hard and soft oral tissues of the mouth. If a dry mouth becomes a persistent problem, a visit to the dentist is needed to diagnose the reason and find a solution.

Saliva and Its Origin

Saliva is secreted from three paired major salivary glands; it consists primarily of water (99%). The remaining 1% is comprised of a variety of electrolytes and proteins.

Since the body is largely water, if the body becomes dehydrated saliva production may be reduced. There are many reasons for dehydration … medications taken (short or long term); injury or illness affecting the head or neck can impact salivary glands including treatment for this problem; exercise, especially in the heat … if you suffer from dehydration, the side effects can be debilitating for your oral and overall health.

How do you know if you’re producing sufficient saliva?

A dry mouth can lead to chronic bad breath; cracked lips; difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing; frequent sore throat … these are a few of the signals that can mean you lack sufficient saliva. Your dentist will also be able to see the signs.

Some of the overlaying factors that can result in a dry mouth include aging, tobacco use, illness and the medications taken to treat it, anxiety, depression, caffeine and alcohol consumption … there are many reasons for a dry mouth.

How can teeth be impacted?

Lack of saliva can mean serious complications for your oral health. Dental decay and gum disease are two major concerns. Since we rely on saliva to flush bacteria, it stands to reason that if bacteria is allowed to remain it has more time to promote the acids that result in cavities and periodontal problems.

You might increase saliva production by chewing sugar free gum, sucking on sugar free candy; you can stay sufficiently hydrated with water (soda, alcohol, and caffeinated beverages are not the appropriate beverages for hydration), and there are over the counter oral rinses designed to ease problems associated with a dry mouth.

Brush and floss daily; visit our dentist as recommended to prevent dental decay and gum disease. Do not allow a lack of saliva to negatively impact your dental health.